Travelling & Pet passport

If you want to travel within the European Union or a listed non EU country with your pet, they will need a PETS passport.

PETS Travel Scheme – Passports for your pet


The vets a Folly Gardens are qualified and authorised by the government to issue PETS passports. Your pet will require a microchip, rabies vaccination and a passport to be issued.

It is your responsibility to ensure your pet meets the currently legislative requirements when travelling between countries in the EU, therefore we strongly recommend you read the information on the PETS section of the defra website thoroughly, and use the helpline provided if you need any clarification at all. It is important to remember that different countries within the EU and listed non EU countries have different rules regards the frequency at which the rabies vaccination is boosted.

See "Bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to the UK" for details. See also Taking pets abroad.



  1. Read Defra - taking my pet abroad
  2. Book an appointment at Folly Gardens with one of our vets
  3. Microchip pet, then rabies vaccine can be given (this can be done on the same day.)
  4. Be sure to organise your PETS passport in plenty of time. You must wait 21 whole days from the date of rabies vaccination (counted as day zero) before travelling.
  5. Consider planning additional sandfly, mosquito and tick protect with your vet, especially in southern France and Spain. These insects are the vector for a nasty disease known as Leishmaniosis which can affect animals and humans. There is a vaccine available that we can provide.
  6. Around day 21 book in with vet for microchip check and we will issue your passport to you, there will be some paperwork to sign.
  7. Don’t forget to take your PETS passport with you when you travel!
  8. On your way home to the UK book appointment with local vet. Your dog will need tapeworm treatment within 1 and 5 days (between 24 and 120 hours) before you’re scheduled to re-enter the UK. The vet you see will need to sign the passport for this, to prove the medicine has been given. At one time tick treatment was required too, this is no longer an official requirement but we recommend you continue to treat your pet for ticks whilst away.



For unlisted non EU nations further regulations and legislation apply, please check out the defra website for specific details.

The vets at Folly Gardens will be happy to help with any relevant certification or vaccinations that may be required.

Book to see us today

We hope this page has been helpful to introduce this service. If you have any further questions or concerns arising from this information, please don't hesitate to call us on the number below to book an appointment  or use our contact form

Call us now on (01684) 292244 or (01242) 679880 

We are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Please read our guidelines here